King George V died on 20th January, 1936, and a National Memorial Fund Committee set about raising funds to assist in the purchase of playing fields in Memory of the late King.
It was on 3rd November, 1936, that King George's Fields Foundation was constituted by Trust Deed: 'To promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United Kingdom of playing fields for the use and enjoyment of the people every such playing field to be styled 'King George's Field and to be distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or inscription commemorative of His Late majesty and of a design approved by the Administrative Council'.
The Trust Deed defined a 'Playing Field' as "any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes."
The Interim Report of the King George's Fields Foundation shows that by 1946, 471 such fields had been created. The field in Sandy Lane, Crawley Down is one such field.
The facilities at the Crawley Down King Georges Field are now owned and provided by Mid Sussex District Council and bookings are managed on their behalf by Worth Parish Council. Contact the Council on 01342 713407 for bookings.